Outreach Manager Position Open at Scott County Public Library
Job Description: Responsible for planning and implementing library programs and services for all ages in order to extend the library’s reach outside of the library building and into the greater community.
Qualifications: Master of Library and Information Science degree; at least 5 years of library experience; proven supervisory skills; and digital literacy. Must have excellent knowledge of child development and early literacy best practices, readers’ advisory tools, collection development resources, and experience working with aging adults. Must also have a valid driver’s license and satisfactory driving history.
Hours & Salary: $20.24/hour. 37.5 hours per week, evening and weekend hours required.
Benefits: Health, dental, and vision insurance. Life, long-term, and short-term disability insurance. Accrued sick and vacation time. Retirement benefits and optional accident and cancer policies available.
Deadline: applications received prior to November 8, 2019, will receive first consideration.
Job Title: Outreach Manager
Reports To: Assistant Director
Travel Required: Yes
Location: Main Library
Position Type: Full-Time
Job Description Role and Responsibilities
The Outreach Manager is responsible for planning and implementing library programs and services for all ages in order to extend the library’s reach outside of the library building and into the greater community.
· Lead a team of support staff to organize, plan, implement, and evaluate programs and services for patrons of all ages.
· Hire, train, supervise and evaluate outreach staff.
· Manage department budget.
· Establish and maintain collaborations beneficial to both the library and the community.
· Serve as liaison to schools and community groups.
· Serve on the library leadership team and assist with library innovation, planning, management, and governance.
· Communicate effectively with patrons, staff, library board, and administration.
· Plan and arrange workload and establish priorities to complete assigned work within parameters and deadlines assigned by administration. Deliver service with responsiveness, courtesy, and tact.
· Participate in public service desk rotations as needed.
· Keep abreast of current trends in the field through participation in user groups and attendance at conferences, workshops, and meetings.
· Participate in work committees and teams.
· Drive the bookmobile and other library vehicles as needed, and manage their maintenance.
· Produce data for annual reporting.
· Other duties as assigned.
Expected Hours of Work
Employee must work 37.5 hours a week to maintain full time status. Evenings and weekends are required.
Required education and experience
· Master of Library and Information Science Degree
· 5 years library experience
· KDLA Professional Certification
· Supervisory skills
· Digital literacy
· Experience working with aging adults
· Knowledge of library principles, trends, and services
· Knowledge of child development and early literacy principles and initiatives
· Knowledge of readers’ advisory tools and resources, and collection development resources and practices
· Valid driver’s license and satisfactory driving history. Personal transportation that can be used for business travel is required.
· Ability to demonstrate positive attitude, excellent interpersonal skills, cultural sensitivity, and a sense of humor in working with staff and patrons of all ages.
· Ability to maintain high standards of customer service and commitment to public service.
· Strong computer and organizational skills.
· Ability to work independently at times and in a group setting at other times.
· Ability to evaluate community needs and tailor programs and services to meet those needs.
· Knowledge of children’s and young adult literature.
· Moderate work (lifting, pushing, twisting, or pulling 40 lbs. maximum)
· Ability to climb, bend, reach, kneel, crouch and move equipment and books by hand or by cart.
· Movement through facility locations and assisting patrons in various locations.
· Ability to reach about shoulder height and below the waist.
· Visual ability to drive and to read, primarily typed or printed text in a variety of type sizes.
· Climate controlled environment inside the building and inside library vehicles.
· Seasonal conditions outside the building.
· Limited access to restroom facilities while working outside of the building.
· Regular travel around the community and county in all kinds of weather conditions.
Note: This job description does not necessarily reflect all aspects of the job function.